Collin County Mill (from an old postcard, date unknown)
Gibson C. Caldwell
Caldwell Elementary was named after Gibson C. Caldwell, son of a prominent North Texas physician. He and his wife Goldie Mae Warden met, married, and raised three children in McKinney. A local business and civic leader, Mr. Caldwell managed the Collin County Mill and Elevator Company. He became director of the Collin County National Bank in 1939 and was elected chairman of the bank's board in 1954.
Mr. Caldwell was elected to the McKinney School Board in 1926 where he served for twenty-five years, leading as it's president from 1939 to 1951. A leader in commerce and in education, Caldwell was committed to building a quality of life for residents of McKinney. Mr. Caldwell died in 1981 at the age of 95.
City of McKinney
Located just 30 miles north of Dallas, McKinney is home to one of the state’s largest historic districts and the country’s fastest growing populations. The city’s tree-lined streets, historic downtown and tight-knit community give McKinney a friendly, small-town feel. Dwellings in the historic district include a variety of early 1900's buildings and sites that are significant in Texas history.
McKinney Historic District
Caldwell elementary is located in the heart of McKinney just a few blocks from downtown. Caldwell was originally constructed as a high school campus in 1960. In 1974 the campus was converted to a middle school and was renamed the GIBSON C. CALDWELL SCHOOL. In 1997 the school was again converted, this time into an elementary campus. In 2002, the campus was renovated to include a new gym, new parking areas, updated classrooms and new technology.