McKinney High School
~ Mission ~
McKinney High School, a community of excellence, rich in legacy and focused on the future, pursues genuine relationships that open minds to new opportunities, inspires excitement for learning, cultivates individual responsibility and prepares each student for an ever-changing world by fostering critical thinking skills and providing meaningful learning experiences that develop lifelong success.
~ MHS Profile ~
Dear Parents and Friends,
We wanted to take this opportunity to reach out to our parents and community members who may have questions regarding our plans for ensuring the safety of our students during possible inclement weather. Please know that ensuring the safety and security of all students is a top priority here at McKinney High School. We are taking steps to remind all of our staff of the importance of reviewing the protocols for emergency preparedness this time of year. All teachers and support staff have been asked to review their inclement weather protocols so they can make sure they know where to go in case the MISD Inclement Weather plan is activated. Our Administrative Team is also visiting classrooms to briefly talk with the teacher and students to remind them of the importance of following school policies for taking shelter in the case of inclement weather. Furthermore, our district and campus leaders continue to receive updated information from our partners including the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA, McKinney PD, McKinney FD, and Collin County officials to provide us the most accurate information possible to help us take shelter in advance of the possible arrival of any inclement weather. Specifically, we are taking the following steps to ensure the safety of the students at McKinney High School:
- All teachers on the 2nd floor of the building are being reminded of the exact classroom they will move to on the 1st floor of the building. Movement routes have been strategically configured to allow for the fastest transit from their 2nd floor classroom to their shelter classroom on the 1st floor.
- Students in classrooms in our current eHall will be moved into interior classrooms and workspaces on the 1st floor of the eHall that DO NOT have windows and provide better protection against the elements of inclement weather
- Students in exterior buildings, i.e. The Dome, all portable buildings, etc will be moved into the main area of the building and we have communicated with those staff members to let them know exactly where they are to go if the MISD Inclement Weather plan is activated
- We have also put plans in place to safely shelter students who are at lunch, just in case inclement weather arrives during the regularly scheduled lunch periods. They will quickly and safely be moved to designated areas to provide shelter.
- Should inclement weather arrive at dismissal, we will follow the MISD Inclement Weather protocols for ensuring student safety.
We hope you find this information beneficial. Ensuring the safety of your student is our highest priority. Should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact your student's House for more information. House contact information can be found on our website on the Administration page
Immunizations will be offered Thursday, May 23 at Lawson Early Childhood School 5pm-7pm. This month the vaccines will be available to a wider scope of students. The immunizations will be available to uninsured students, and students insured with Medicaid from Birth to 18 years of age. Current students with one of the following insurances United, AETNA or BCBS PPO’s will also be able to receive vaccines. Please bring a copy of your child’s vaccine record with you. Remember Seniors will need a current Meningitis vaccination to attend college and all 9th, 10th and 11th graders will need a current Meningitis vaccination to start school in the fall.
Final Exam Schedule
The MHS revised exam schedule (4/25/13) can be downloaded here. Seniors will take their 6th and 7th period final exams on the 30th and 31st.
Summer School Information
For complete information, visit the MISD Summer School web page. This is a great way to catch up or get ahead! Attention parents & students! Click here to pre-register for summer. Once you have completed the form, print your confirmation page and bring it with your payment to the House Counselor