MISD Administrative Guidelines for Student Transfer Requests
Student Transfer Requests for Children of Non-MISD Employees
The following information includes guidelines the administration uses in making the decisions regarding interdistrict and intradistrict transfers of children of non-MISD employees.
The district policy on transfers can be found at:
Type in FDA local for interdistrict transfers and FDB local for intradistrict transfers
In-District Transfer Requests:
When reviewing petitions for student transfers, the McKinney ISD will consider each request on an individual basis;
however, the guidelines below are in place to ensure consistency in our process. The transfer petitions will be considered
by the zoned and receiving campus principals or their designee. All authorizations for K-12 student transfers are for a
one-year period; petitions must be submitted annually. An approval for one year does not guarantee nor imply the
approval of future transfers to the same campus or to the feeder campus.
- In-District Transfer Request will be accepted March 1 – June 30 of current year. Any request received prior to this date will not be processed. If a hardship occurs after this date the zoned and receiving administrators will review the transfer at the time the hardship occurs.
- The zoned and receiving principals will decide all transfer requests on a case-by-case basis. The district will consider health issues and legal issues that are verifiable and documented and can be resolved by a transfer. Transfers for siblings of students who are placed in self-contained special education units that are not located on every campus will be considered for a hardship intra-district transfer. Students who are held-back (in grades K-8) and asked to repeat a grade may also qualify for a hardship transfer.
- Due to the rapid growth in the MISD, most requests for student intradistrict transfers to campuses projected at 90% of capacity or greater as of May 1 will be denied unless significant extenuating circumstances exist.
- Due to the diverse and specialized allocation of staffing at high school campuses, building capacities, and UIL considerations, all general public high school student transfer requests will be denied.
- Parents whose transfer requests are approved will be responsible for providing transportation to and from the
- An acceptable “Proof of Residency” which verifies that the petitioner legally lives within the MISD attendance boundaries must accompany each transfer request form.
- Families who move into the MISD after this date will be handled on an individual basis.
- All secondary transfers are subject to review by the University Interscholastic League.
- All transfers are based on availability of space and are considered on a year-by-year basis.
McKinney ISD does not accept out of district transfers except in the following circumstances.
- Parents who present a contract, to the zoned principal, on a home in the district with closing date stated will be allowed to enroll students in MISD. If the closing date is after September 15 of current year, the full semester tuition must be paid. A pro-rated refund will be issued depending on move in date.
How to make a written request for an In-District Transfer Request:
- Any parent or legal guardian (students under the age of 18 cannot make a transfer request themselves) wishing to ask for In-District Transfer must completely fill out the official “MISD Student Transfer Request Form” and send it to the zoned campus principal. If approved by your child’s principal or designee, you will deliver the request to the receiving principal or their designee for their approval. If the receiving campus principal or their designee denies your request, you must remain on your zoned campus.
- An acceptable “Proof of Residency” must accompany each transfer request.
- Any form that is not completely filled out will not be considered and will be returned to the sender with no action taken.
Download the “MISD Student Transfer Request Form” here
“MISD Student Request Form”
Parents/guardians not satisfied with a decision granted regarding a transfer, pursuant to McKinney ISD Board of Trustees Policy FNG (LOCAL), may submit a written petition of appeal to the Director of Administrative Services. Appeals must be submitted in writing within 10 days of the initial denial.
Parents/guardians not satisfied with the findings of the appeal to the Director of Administrative Services may then submit a petition for further review by the Assistant to the Superintendent for Administrative Services. Appeals must be submitted in writing within 10 days of the appeal to the Director of Administrative Services.
Parents/guardians not satisfied with the findings of the appeal to the Assistant to the Superintendent for Administrative Services may then submit a petition for further review by the Superintendent. Appeals must be submitted in writing within 10 days of the appeal to the Assistant to the Superintendent for Administrative Services.
Parents/Guardians not satisfied with the findings of the appeal to the Superintendent may then submit a petition for further review by the Board pursuant to Education Code 25.034. The decision of the Board is final, according to the provisions of Education Code 25.034.